Hanko is an essential item for our life in Japan. This page introduces the basic information about hanko, which we need to know.


First, we need to buy different hankos for its purposes.

For example, we need a “Jitsu-in” (実印) for important contracts like cars and houses.
We need a “Ginkou-in” (銀行印) when we open a bank account.
We’ll buy a “Mitome-in” (認め印) for other ordinary situations, such as CV and administrative documents.

The materials and fonts also have some varieties. Pick up your favorite or the most suitable for the situations.

To make your Jitsu-in (実印), we have to pass the official hanko registration (印鑑登録). Check out here about the order of the registration.

Types of Hanko

There are three types of hanko, “Jitsu-in” (実印), “Ginkou-in” (銀行印) and “Mitome-in” (認め印). Each of them has different roles.

“Jitsu-in” (実印)

Jitsu-in is the officially registered hanko at the city hall. It is mainly used for important contracts such as car and house.
You should confirm the regulation for the hanko registration in advance. For instance, some cities need both your first name and family name at your hanko.

Horns, trees and metals are often used as the matetial for Jitsuin because they are solid and rarely broken.

When you use Jitsu-in, it is often required to submit a certification paper, too. Check out this part for publishing the document.


It is a hanko which is registered at banks and Yuucho.
Solid materials are used for Ginkouin, too.

“Mitome-in” (認め印)

This hanko is used at most at our daily life.
We stamp it for ordinary contracts, office papers and administrative documents.
Shachihata”, which we use for parcel receipt is also one of the Mitome-in hankos.

It is not necessary to register.


Main materials for hanko are horns, trees, metals (titanium) and plastics.
Each of them has different looks, textures and impressions. Pick up your favorite or the most suitable for the situations.


Kissou-tai fontKoin-tai fontReisho-tai
up to down
up to down
up to down

Hanko has various types of fonts. The popular fonts are Kissou-tai font, Tensho-tai font, Tensho-tai font, Koin-tai font and Reisho-tai font.
People often select Kissou-tai font and Tensho-tai font for Jitsu-in and Ginkou-in because they are not easily copied and secure. Koin-tai font and Reisho-tai font are used for Mitome-in because they are easy to read.


Line1 or 21 or 21 or 211
Max characters
3~4 for each
first name and
family name
3~4 for each
first name and
family name
3 for each
first name and
family name

Official Hanko Registration

1. What is the Official Hanko Registration (印鑑登録)?

The Official Hanko Registration is a Japanese system is where you register your hanko at the city hall and prove that it is unique to you.
The registered Hanko is called Jitsuin (実印) and once registered it can be used in important situations like buying cars and houses.

2. The condition for the Official Hanko Registration

-About Hanko-

  1. The seal is larger than 8mm and smaller than 25mm.
  2. The carved name is identical with the resident card name.
  3. The seal has no decorations and letters, other than the name
  4. The material is solid.

-About Person-

  1. The person is over 16-year old.
  2. The person has registered the Alien Registration if he/she is from a foreign country.
3. Required procedure for the Official Hanko Registration

-Where to register-
The city hall where the person has the resident card.

-What to take-

  1. Your own Hanko
  2. Your identity card

-How to register-
Take your Hanko and identity card to the city hall.
You’ll fill the official document and submit it to the window in charge.
Keep in safe the Hanko Registration Card you’ll receive there.

Hanko Certification Card

sample document

You’ll issue the Hanko Certification Card at the city hall or the branch offices. You need

・Hanko Registration Card
・Issuing Commission (About 200 to 400 yen)

to issue. You’ll get the Hanko Registration Card when you register your hanko.